Sunday, December 12, 2010

Guesthouse chapel


A picture of a building what looks like a medeival church. The plate of the department of monuments confirmed it. It jused to be a 'Guesthouse chapel'. A 15th century prayer house for the sick and travelars. During the Reformatieon in the 16th century a chapel for the Catholic worship. In the 18th century a place of gathering for the French Wallonic community. After the abolishment in 1822 it became a storehouse. Since 1960 part of the cityhall...

I keep find it amazing, 600 years of history....

3 comments:

VP said...

Your church (and annexes) are in far better shape than ours...

Lois said...

It is in very good shape for being so old!

Ρωμανός ~ Romanós said...

I live in Oregon which is one of the older settlement areas of the American West, but not until I went to visit Boston, Massachusetts did I ever see buildings like this old chapel, and almost as old. In fact, the style and brickwork of this chapel reminded me of some of the old buildings I saw there.

Very nice that you live in a place where the human imprint is so longlasting.